Smoothies are perfect for an on-the-go but complete breakfast or afternoon pick-me-up. In fact, studies have shown that meal-replacement shakes can help women to lose unwanted extra pounds, and they are a much more nutritious choice than coffee and a muffin – even an organic gluten free muffin which can be chock-full of as many as 600 calories but very little nutrition! And it’s much healthier than skipping meals which can wreak havoc on your adrenals – and as a result – your waistline and more!
Making up your own smoothies is ridiculously easy once you know the basics. All smoothies contain a protein source, a healthy liquid that usually adds additional protein and or fat, a healthy fat, fruits or vegetables, and health “extras.”
How to make a smoothie – the basics:
Place the following ingredients into your blender:
- 1 scoop of plant protein powder OR 2 TBS of a combination of high protein seeds like hemp or chia seeds
- 1/2 cup total mixed fruit (frozen makes the smoothies so much creamier and more delicious, but you can use fresh)
- ¾-1 cup of liquid (depending in the thickness you prefer) of choice (usually chilled almond milk, coconut milk, coconut kefir, or organic yogurt or goat’s milk if you eat dairy)
- 1-2 TBSP of a healthy fat, often a nut butter which adds protein, too
- Optional your nutrient boosts
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Prep time: 3 minutes
A Sample Smoothie Recipe to make today! The Chai-Licious
If you love chai tea or want to get more turmeric into your diet, this anti-inflammatory smoothie which also provides support for your body’s natural detoxification processes if going to Delight you with Chai-Licious!
- 1 scoop of plant based protein powder OR 1 TBS each hemp and chia seeds
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup of Organic unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder (or 1 inch of fresh turmeric), ½ tsp. grated fresh ginger root, ¼ tsp. crushed cardamom seeds
- 4-6 ice cubes to make it frothy
- 1 tbsp. almond butter for protein, good quality fat, and to thicken the shake and/or
- Optional 1/2 cup of fresh spinach leaves
The Smoothie Genie!
Want to know how to make your own amazing smoothies? Try Dr. Aviva’s Smoothie Genie for endless ideas!
(choose 1 or combine 2)
|The Fat (2 TBS total)||The Fruit/ (3/4 cup)||The Liquid (1 cup)||The Greens (1 cup, or 1 handful)||Extra Goodness (1-2 tbsp.p.)|
Plant-based protein powder
Paleo protein powder
|Nut or seed butter (no sugar added)
Unsweetened organic yogurt
Unsweetened coconut yogurt
Flax or hemp seeds
|Banana (frozen for a smoother smoothie)
Light Coconut Milk
Unsweetened Almond Milk
(optional and skip kale if you have hypothyroidism, skip spinach if you have kidney stone)
Lemon juice or zest
Omega 3 Fish Oil
Raw cacao powder