The Premier Course on Herbal Medicine
Created and taught by Aviva Romm, Herbalist, MD, Midwife
“Herbal medicines are the heart of healing I turn to again and again to help the women in my medical practice regain their vitality, energy, and health. With 35 years of experience, I’ve got information, skills, pearls, and strategies that I hope you’ll let me share with you for the benefit of the women in your practice, and in your life!”
It's time we learn about the root of disease
- 1 in 6 women struggles with fertility problems.
- We have a 34% cesarean section rate in the US.
- New data shows that women’s health in pregnancy can determine whether the next generation experiences diabetes, allergies, asthma – even autism.
- Millions of women suffer from endometriosis, fibroids, PMS, and menopausal problems.
- Over 10% of women have PCOS – which carries the same risks of heart disease as diabetes.
- More unnecessary surgeries are done for women’s gynecologic problems than for any other health problems.
- Chronic disease rates are increasing in women at a rapid rate, with women now as likely or more likely to have heart attacks than men!
- More and more medications are known to have harmful side effects – and most of the drugs on the market have not even been tested on women.
- Something needs to be done!
Be part of
Herbal Medicine for Women is the most comprehensive professional women’s herbal training program in the world. Over 2500 students on 5 continents in 20 different countries. You won’t get better training than this.
My mission is to help women flourish.
We need a new paradigm for women’s health. That is the approach you will learn in this course. Herbal Medicine for Women is a powerful, comprehensive 400-hour course recognized by midwifery, nursing, naturopathic medicine, and acupuncture accrediting agencies. This program uniquely integrates traditional herbal wisdom, clinical experience, and critically reviewed botanical and nutrition scientific evidence for the prevention and treatment of common women’s health concerns. The course emphasizes a whole-woman approach to health, taking into consideration body, mind, and the whole woman in the context of her life. It’s also an amazing personal journey created and led by Dr. Aviva Romm, a global and well-loved leader in integrative, functional, and botanical medicine for women.
My 5 favorite herbs for women
This popular talk was presented by Aviva at the Midwest Women’s Herb Conference.
Audio from Aviva’s talk at the Midwest Women’s Herb Conference
Watch a free
sample lesson video
Enjoy this video on organizing a client plan from Unit 1 of Herbal Medicine for Women.
Read a free
Enjoy this lesson on Transformational Healing from Unit 1 of Herbal Medicine for Women.
Download HMW curriculum
Get a head start and see the lessons provided in this 4 unit course.
Women need safe, natural, affordable alternatives to current medical treatments for common health problems. This course will help you to:
- Take back your health; take responsibility for your own wellness.
- Recognize, listen to, and trust your body knowledge and help others learn to do the same.
- Let go of fear created by a disease-based medical model and embrace a woman-centered approach to healing.
- Develop the skills needed to promote health and prevent and treat common women’s health conditions.
- Learn to bring functional medicine and nutrition into your practice.
- Develop a strong knowledge of herbal medicine for women’s health.
- Deepen your connection to the Earth and learn how natural rhythms influence health.
- Enhance your professional clinical practice.
- Specialize in women’s herbal medicine.
- Clarify your personal path (practitioner, teacher, writer, medicine-maker, entrepreneur)
- Deepen your awareness and understanding of the psychoemotional and spiritual influences on health.
As an Herbal Medicine for Women student you will learn how to use herbs, along with nutritional support, effectively for women’s health problems throughout their entire life cycles and:
- Learn how to think thru complex women’s health conditions.
- Apply integrative and functional medicine techniques to enhance client success and grow your business.
- Use mind-body tools to transform women’s health and lives.
- Generate effective wellness plans with herbs, food, & appropriate supplements.
- Help yourself, the women in your life, and your clients or patients ACHIEVE OPTIMAL WELLNESS.
Core Course Topics
Over 200 herbs are covered in this course. You will learn their clinical indications and actions, constituents, traditional and modern applications, safety issues and contraindications, and will learn from Aviva’s direct experience using these herbs in clinical practice and personal use.
- History of Herbal Medicine for Women
- Current Trends in Women’s Health
- Herbal Medicine Philosophy
- Spirituality & Women’s Health
- Mind-Body Tools & Techniques
- A Functional Medicine Approach to Herbal Medicine
- Food as Medicine
- Herbal Pharmacology
- Herbal Properties & Actions
- Setting up an Herbal Practice & Clinical Strategies
- Herbal Preparations & Medicine Making
- Herb-Drug Interactions
- Herbal Product Safety
- Setting up an Herb Business
- The Art of Teaching Herbal Medicine
- Women’s Reproductive Anatomy & Physiology
- Basics of Endocrinology
- Women’s Hormones
- The Healthy Menstrual Cycle
- Menstruation and Adolescents
- Painful Menstruation (Dysmenorrhea)
- Menstrual Irregularity
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
- Fibrocyctic Breasts and Breast Pain
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Vaginal Infections
- Urinary Tract Infections and Interstitial Cystitis
- Uterine Fibroids
- Issues in Unplanned Pregnancies
- Safety of Herbs During Pregnancy and Lactation
- Fertility Problems
- Pregnancy Wellness, Nutrition, and Body Care
- Miscarriage Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy
- Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Constipation and Hemorrhoids
- Iron Deficiency Anemia
- IBS During Pregnancy
- Premature Labor and Uterine Irritability
- Skin Problems
- Insomnia and Nervous Disorders
- Breech Presentation
- Post Dates Pregnancy
- Prolonged Labor
- Pain and Exhaustion in Labor
- Perineal Care
- Postpartum Depression
- Breastfeeding Problems
- Healthy Menopause
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Hot Flashes and Night Sweats
- Insomnia, Anxiety, and Depression
- Uterine Bleeding
- Vaginal Dryness
- Uterine Prolapse
- Low Libido
- Prevention of Heart Disease
Each clinical lesson provides you with multi-media in-depth discussions of the condition being reviewed:
- the role of lifestyle, mind-body approaches, and nutrition in prevention and treatment
- the signs and symptoms of the condition, pathophysiology
- the pros and cons of conventional treatments, risk factors and when to seek medical care
- and extensive, detailed case reviews that teach you how Aviva approaches botanical strategies for treatment with guidance that will allows you to learn how to do this successfully and effectively.
What Students Receive
All Students Receive 4 Print-Ready PDF Coursebooks (50 lessons)
Foundations in Botanical Medicine for Women
Herbs for Gynecologic and Menstrual Health
Herbs for Childbearing Women
Herbs for the Wisdom Years
Each handbook contains 10–16 lessons, homework project assignments, and experiments for each lesson. Lessons are also cross-referenced to related Aviva’s award-winning textbook, Botanical Medicine for Women’s Health. And upon graduation students receive a gorgeous diploma.
Multi-media and on-line resources
Continuing Education Credit
Thriving, Supportive Women’s Online Community
What Students Are Saying
Pricing & Payment Options
I've got answers!
The skills you gain in this course will help you to be successful in:
- Enhancing herbal medicine use in your life… and practice
- Making a living as an herbalist
- Enhancing or building a botanical consulting practice/ consulting in another practitioner’s office
- Writing/publishing in herbal magazines
- Teaching at herbal events, conferences, and schools
- Making and selling herbal products
- Starting your own or working for an herbal medicine company
- Consulting for industry in formula development
- Starting any number of herbally-related businesses
Yes. This course provides the academic foundation you need to practice botanical medicine for women’s health. If you are not a licensed clinician, you’ll still need clinical training before you go out there and hang your shingle. The good news is that successfully graduating from this course gives you caché and a letter of recommendation from me that is likely to help you land a great internship if you want to go further with your clinical training. If you are already a clinical practitioner with prescribing rights, you might want to do a short internship to see an herbalist in action, but in general, you will be able to use the knowledge gained in this course to add herbs right into your prescribing repertoire.
This course does not substitute for clinical experience under the supervision and guidance of an experienced herbal practitioner. Completion of this program does not confer the right or ability to practice any form of health care.
- Principles and Practices of Phytotherapy (Mills and Bone)
- Obstetrics and Gynecology at a Glance (Norwitz and Schorge)
- Botanical supplies for hands-on medicine making (about $150 total using HMW student discounts at Mountain Rose Herbs)
- Internet access – this is an online course
This WomanWise course will spark your personal confidence, empowerment, and creativity. You will be supported by a community of adult learners. And you can learn and complete materials at your own pace. This course is designed for you to grow, learn, and succeed.