Breakfast is an important meal for me. It's important for all of us.
A solid breakfast includes some good quality protein. This keeps me humming with steady energy all the way until lunch, allows my body to rest and digest between meals, and prevents the need for snacking. Eating the right foods, at the right times, is central to maintaining a healthy weight. And to feeling fantastic.
I sometimes start my day with a smoothie or a good quality protein with some vegetables, but in the winter months, I often want something warm and I'm not always in the mood for something with eggs, tofu, or beans (like a breakfast burrito). And sometimes I want something healthy but a little sweet.
Voila! This perfect breakfast cereal!
Millet with Apricot Breakfast CerealPrint Recipe
- 1 cup of millet
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of unsulphured dried apricots chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup of walnuts chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Put the millet, apricots, and water into a 1 quart saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer slowly for about 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- In a separate skillet, lightly toast your chopped walnuts; do not burn.
- Serve hot with an optional pinch of salt with the walnuts sprinkled on top.