This is a light meal in itself, or a wonderful complement or started for any summer dinner. Beets are rich in iron and relax the blood vessels keeping blood pressure healthy. Walnuts are rich in arginine, a potent antioxidant and also beneficial for blood pressure. Greens are antioxidant and currant rich in iron. Shallots, like all of the allium – or onion- family, are rich in the immune boosting, antioxidant quercetin. And it all tastes great. Food really is medicine – the best kind!
Summer Beet SaladPrint Recipe
- 1 head of green leaf lettuce “chopped” into small piece
- 3 red beets sliced into think circles, steamed or lightly simmered in water until soft, run under cold water, and cut in half
- 1/2 shallot finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup of red currants
- 1/4 brick of crumbled good quality feta cheese
- Put the chopped lettuce into a bowl then layer on the rest of the veggies, feta, walnuts, and currants.
- Drizzle a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and champagne vinegar over the salad, and lightly dash on sea salt and black pepper.
- Toss at the table and enjoy.