Whether you’re “jonesing” for a quick snack and want to make it a healthy one that still satisfies, or you’re looking for an appetizer or main protein, Hummus a Middle Eastern dish made with garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and tahini (a seed butter made with the delicious, high calcium sesame seed) will not disappoint. It’s delicious and filling on cut raw veggies or crackers, and it’s a classic along with another famous Middle Eastern dish, tabouli. It also only takes about 10 minutes to make if you use canned beans, and keeps in the fridge for several days making it a fast go-to snack. While the Paleo world tends to shun beans, unless you know you don’t tolerate them for health reasons, this dish is incredibly healthy for your heart, cholesterol, and microbiome. You know the old saying, “beans, beans, they’re good for your heart…” And seasoned properly, as they are with cumin in this dish, you don’t have to worry about the other part of that little ditty.
- 10 oz can organic garbanzo beans (or 3/4 cup dried beans, soaked and cooked)
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (best to press it in or chop finely first)
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup (or 4 Tbsp.) of tahini
- 1/4 tsp of salt (you can add additional salt to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Optional 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (this is a nightshade so avoid if don’t tolerate nightshades)
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor (with chopping blade) or blender
- Blend for 1-2 minutes, depending on how smooth and creamy you like it
- Place the hummus into a serving bowl and taste – add more salt and/or lemon juice to your own taste
- Optionally you can add a dash of smoked paprika on top and garnish with a few parsley leaves
Hummus only takes about 10 minutes to prepare (unless you are pre-cooking your own beans) and this recipe serves 2-4.
For over 120 more recipes, grab a copy of my book The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution & get my Replenish Cookbook as a free extra gift!
The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution
For more on the Root Causes of poor thyroid function and how to heal them, check out my book.