Detoxification is something our bodies do naturally. Unfortunately, things are much different for us now than they were for our ancestors. While they were exposed to very few environmental toxins as little as 75 years ago, the same cannot be said for us today. We are simultaneously being overloaded by external toxins and under-supported by our diets because our diets are not balanced enough to keep our natural detox processes robust.
In the Natural MD Radio detoxification series, I’ve talked about the impact of what too much detoxification can have on your health, as well as the differences between metabolic and physiologic detoxification, and the dangers of fad detoxes. I want to wrap up this series discussing the very powerful role foods and supplements can play in supporting on our body’s natural detoxification processes.
I dive into the steps of a 12-week detox program, share some of my favorite herbs for supporting our natural detoxification processes – including the historical and scientific support for them – and give tips for limiting exposures to harmful toxins in your home, food and household products.
If you enjoyed listening to the audio version, Subscribe to Natural MD Radio on Apple Podcasts or Soundcloud. If you love what you hear, please SHARE this with your friends, and make sure to leave a review on iTunes so more woman can get health empowered!
12-Week Detoxification Strategy
Week 1: Start Reduce Exposure
Week 2: Start Optimize Dietary Support
- 35g fiber/day
- 8-10 servings per day of fruits and veggies
- Herbs/spices in cooking
Week 3: Start Support Gut Health/Flora
- Probiotic rich foods, probiotic
Week 4: Start Nutrient and Botanical Elimination Support
- Goal Get your bowels going daily
- Flax: 2 TBS ground seeds/day
Week 5 Start Nutrient and Botanical Detoxification Support
- Bitter herbs – here’s my podcast episode on bitters
- Curcumin: Dose 500mg 2-4x/day
- Milk Thistle: Dose: 200mg TID standardized to 80% silymarin
- Artichoke: Dose 320mg once daily to 600mg TID (Contraindicated in Ragweed allergy)
- Broccoli Extracts (sulforaphane, DIM, I3C) Dose: I3C: 250-450mg/day, DIM: 100-200mg/day
Week 6-12 Continue above
This plan is not meant for pregnant or nursing women; discuss supplement use with your primary care provider if you’re on medications or have medical conditions.
- Symptoms of a weak detoxification system
- What to do to keep your detoxification system supported
- The 12-Week Detox Program
- How to reduce environmental exposures
- The danger of chemical preservatives
- What to look for in healthy makeup alternatives
- How to optimize dietary support
- Health benefits of bitters
- Get your copy of The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution
- Read my article on Deadly Pajamas & Toxic Sofas: 5 Ways to Reduce Your Baby’s Exposure to Flame Retardants
- Read my article on The Toxins That Could be Tanking Your Thyroid
- Learn more about DharmaMoms and The Replenish Supplement Formulary
- Listen to my podcast series on detox: