I'm a meatball fan. These are a mouthful of surprise flavor. They look like the familiar Italian-style fare, but these small, slightly spicy balls made of ground beef are prepared in a warm curry tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 lbs. lean grass-fed, organic beef
- tsp. finely grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 18 oz. crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Place the ground beef and ginger in a mixing bowl
- Crush the fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle (if you don't have one, the flat of a knife on a cutting board works fine), mix with cinnamon, and add to the beef.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands and form into small (walnut-sized) balls.
- Place the tomatoes, curry powder, and turmeric into a saucepan, add salt & pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and gently place the meatballs into the sauce.
- Cover and cook gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring and turning the meatballs occasionally so that they are thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Recipe adapted from Fresh Indian by Sunil Vijayakar, cookbook now unfortunately out of print.