One of the central keys to healthy immunity – and with it a healthy winter season – and health thyroid – is what we eat. Food gives out body information – and in the case of butternut squash and other autumn/winter squashes part of this information comes in the form of Vitamin A which is essential for immune – and thyroid – health. But when we think of taking our vitamins that’s not very delicious sounding! But how about if your vitamin A came in the package of a Coconut Curry Squash Soup? Try this creation of mine which is a favorite in my home.
It’s a perfect autumn and winter soup that will brighten your mood anytime! Between the sunset orange color, the sweetness of the coconut and squash, and warmth of the spices, it’s really a full sensory experience. I don’t think it’s quite a meal in itself but is a perfect complement to a surprising array of dishes and flavors.
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1 Tbs. minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (about 3 lb.)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 tsp. Thai red curry paste
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the shallots and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute more.
- Add the squash, broth and the 1/2 tsp. salt, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Put the curry paste in a small bowl and stir in the coconut milk until well blended.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the soup, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and stir in the coconut milk mixture. Heat the soup until just hot, then stir in the lime juice and adjust the seasoning with salt. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and serve immediately.
- Serves 4.