This soup is almost sinfully delicious. And it's fantastically nutritious. It is savory, sweet, and unbelievably simple to prepare – it has only 7 ingredients—including the water! I love it served with steamed kale and a piece of salmon on the side. If you are a vegetarian, consider a cold lentil salad as an accompaniment. It looks absolutely gorgeous in the bowl, and if you serve it to guests, they will think you are a gourmet. It’s that tasty! And it's gluten-free.
7 Ingredient Ultimate Butternut Squash SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 5 cups of water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- Sea salt or Herbamare seasoning to taste
- Dried or fresh dill weed or fresh rosemary the latter is my favorite
- Lightly heat your olive oil in a soup pot. Sauté your onions until slightly soft.
- Add squash chunks and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the water and cover your pot.
- Cook for about 40 minutes or until the squash is very soft, stirring about every 15 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a whisk or vegetable masher to “mash” the squash until you have a thick soup with some small chunks of squash. Alternatively, you can blend the soup.
- Add salt, lightly to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with dill.
Squash-Dulse Soup: Top the soup with crumbled dulse flakes instead of dill for an oceany flavor.
Squash-Rosemary Soup: Add a stalk of fresh rosemary when cooking instead of the dill garnish. Gives a rich flavor.