If you’ve heard of MTHFR and have no idea what it is, or feel like you should, or if you’ve discovered you have this genetic change and are feeling a bit shaken, this is episode is for you. I want to help clear up your concerns and offer guidance on how to best handle it for your health.
The topic of this gene is surging in popularity – I get emails and questions about it from patients all the time. Listen in to find our what MTHFR is, why it’s important for your body, what it means if you have the genetic change, how to get tested for it, and what you can do if you do have it. The goal of this episode is to calm some of your worries because it really is manageable with straightforward prevention steps.
- What is MTHFR?
- What are genes and enzymes?
- What chemical reactions MTHFR is part of
- Why MTHFR is associated with an increased risk of cancer
- What are the risks of MTHFR?
- Who should get tested for MTHFR – and what tests
- What to do if you have the SNP
- What supplements you can take for what SNP
- What if you have the SNP and are trying to conceive
- Why you don’t want to over-supplement
- Epigenetics and why our environment put us at just as much risk