The desire to control conception is an age old challenge for women. Women’s earliest herbal texts dating back as far as the 1400s divulge a variety of methods ranging from an hollowed out citrus peel loaded with herbs to be used as a diaphragm to herbs to be taken to prevent pregnancy. It’s no wonder that the advent of the pill indeed seemed to be a wonder drug, and it has provided women with an enormous amount of freedom in birth control since the 1960s.
Today, 4 out of 5 women have been on the pill at some point in their lives, and many are on it for 10 years or more. It’s an easy to use and popularly prescribed method to prevent pregnancy and treat hormone imbalances, but do we know the true effects that it is having on our bodies, minds, and overall health?
Natural MD Radio
Have a listen and if you love it, subscribe to my podcast on Itunes for your weekly dose of the whole truth on health and natural medicine for women and children.SUBSCRIBE ON ITUNES
The pill comes with a long list of side effects, ranging from mild to severe, that many of us never hear about. In this episode, I discuss depression, weight gain, migraines, blood clots, and cancer, among others. I also talk about potential long-term effects on reproductive health that some women experience even after discontinuing use. I give you the whole story on these side effects, risks, and dangers, along with an overview of my favorite alternative contraceptive methods.
My goal is to share with you what you need to know about the pill so that you can make a truly informed decision if you are on it, or considering it, whether for contraception or other symptoms or conditions.
To have true control over our reproductive health, we have to know what hormonal contraception can do to our bodies, our minds, and our health. @avivaromm
- What is informed consent?
- Side effects, dangers, and hazards of the pill
- Special concerns for women with depression or migraines
- Hormone imbalance and other post-pill problems
- My forthcoming book: The Hidden Hormone Epidemic
- How autoimmune disease and the pill might be linked
- Misunderstanding alert: the pill and your thyroid
- What if you “need” the pill to treat another condition?
- Warning signs to look out for
- An overview of my favorite alternative contraceptive methods
- Read my article The Pill: Are the Risks Too Bitter to Swallow?
- Buy Sustain Natural condoms
- Buy a copy of Signs of Fertility: The Personal Science of Natural Birth Control by Margaret Nofziger