Do you wish you had a physician who:
- You could trust for information on healthy lifestyle choices, nutrition, general health concerns, and chronic medical problems?
- Could answer (even) your (intimate) health care questions about everything from menstruation to menopause and recommend something other than just hormones or surgery?
- Knows that meds are not the answer for everything and that sometimes “mother nature” does know best? And who can also let you know when medical treatments are truly necessary?
- Can help you sort out the best options for pregnancy, birthing, new mom issues and breast feeding?
- Really knows what herbs work, what’s safe, and what you can use even if you’re pregnant, on a medication, or have a complex condition?
- Chose natural birth and raised her kids uber-organic, and who would drop her knowledge right into your head over a cup of tea?
- Is an inspiring, empowered woman to turn to with all kinds of questions from sex to relationship to parenting to your own health?
Like you, I wanted all of these things. And so did hundreds of my midwifery clients. But finding this information and support can be tough! So I researched and learned what I needed to take care of myself, my midwifery clients, my friends, and my family … naturally. In the process I became a pioneer in natural health for women and children, an internationally renown expert in botanical and integrative medicine, and a roll-up-my-sleeves health care revolutionary! Then I went to medical school and became a physician, too!
My unique knowledge and experience allow me to bring you inspiring and trustworthy perspectives on health that you just won’t find anywhere else.
- My training in internal medicine allows me to understand and treat complex adult chronic health problems.
- As a family physician I am able to provide full pediatric, gynecology, and low-risk obstetric care.
- As a midwife I bring a woman-centered, natural approach to everything I do.
- As an integrative physician and herbalist I offer non-surgical and non-drug options whenever possible – and can offer conventional options when needed – though in truth, natural works best most of the time.
- And as a woman and mom, I understand…
Throughout this website you’ll find the highest possible quality articles, resources, recipes, and courses for getting and staying healthy. It’s the info I use to keep myself and my family healthy, and how I treat my patients. I call it “good medicine.” It’s what I love to do. And it’s dedicated to YOU! Because you deserve to have it!
Aviva Romm’s Professional Story
midwife MD herbalist advocate ecologist mom
Dr. Aviva Romm is the mother of four grown children, a Yale-trained physician specializing in integrative medicine for women and children, a midwife, an herbalist, an award-winning author, and the creator/owner of WomanWise, on-line courses dedicated to vitality and optimal health for women and children. An internationally respected expert in botanical and integrative medicine for women and children, she has spent nearly 30 years as a health care practitioner and advocate for the health and environmental concerns of women and kids.
Aviva is on fire about creating a better world for all of us, and she does this as a compassionate integrative physician with a social and environmental conscience.
The recent past President of the American Herbalists Guild, a founder of the Yale Integrative Medicine program, and the author of 7 books on natural medicine for women and children including Botanical Medicine for Women’s Health, The Natural Pregnancy Book, Naturally Healthy Babies and Children, Natural Health After Birth, Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent’s Guide, ADHD Alternatives (with her husband Tracy Romm Ed.D.), and The Pocket Guide to Midwifery Care, Aviva was one of the first pioneers in natural birth and botanical medicine for gynecology, obstetrics, and pediatrics in the United States. Her books are read and loved around the world. She is also sought out as a botanical medicine industry consultant, medical journal editor and contributor, is the Medical Director of and a frequent contributor to The American Herbal Pharmacopoeia, and has contributed to several important integrative medicine textbooks including Integrative Medicine: Principles for Practice (Kligler and Lee), and she is an author of The Botanical Safety Handbook (American Herbal Products Association).
Aviva recognizes that the current medical system is failing people by its lack of listening to and truly caring for the individual, and in its focus on disease management and over-diagnosis, rather than on health promotion. Aviva knows that the epidemic of chronic disease we are facing in our country is not inevitable. It is preventable and reversible – if we look for and treat the root causes – largely through improving diet and nutrition, lifestyle, and reducing stress and harmful environmental exposures.
Practicing what she calls “good medicine” and “transformational healing,” Aviva is a leader in the health care revolution to transform the current medical system that over-medicalizes life, from birth to death, into a model that respects the intrinsic healing capacities of the body and nature.